Last modified: 2013-02-02 by ian macdonald
Keywords: sao paulo | rio das pedras |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Dirk Schönberger,
19 January 2013
Based on: http://www.camarariodaspedras.sp.gov.br/bandeira.asp
A blue flag with a white disk bearing the municipal arms.
Official website at
Dirk Schönberger, 19 January 2013
Rio das Pedras originates in the establishment of an inn in the 19th century. The inn-keeper, named Pedro, has three beautiful daughters colloquially known as the Pêdras. Located near a river, the inn was then known as the inn at the Pêdras' river. Whether the said river was the Tijuco Preto or the Lajeada is not known. With time, the origin of the name of the inn was lost, so that Pêdras was changed to Pedras, "Rio das Pedras" being the Stone River. In the 1870s, the Ituana Railway Co., subsequently known as the Sorocabana Railway Co., increased its lines around Piracicaba, crossing the region of Rio das Pedras. At the time, the Baron of Serra Negra owned there the Bom Jardim Estate, where coffee was grown. Some entrepreneurs involved in the building of the railway purchased pieces of land and erected a chapel dedicated to Jesus Christ, today the town's patron saint. A settlement increased around the railway station, from the main street known as the Tortuous Street, which followed the course of the river. The district of Bom Jesus do Rio das Pedras, part of the municipality of Piracicaba, was established by Provincial Law No. 95 adopted in April 1889. The municipality of Rio das Pedras was established by State Law No. 291 of 10 July 1894.
The symbols of Rio das Pedras are prescribed in Article 2 of the Municipal Constitution, adopted on 5 April 1990; as "the coat of arms, the flag and the anthem representative of its culture and history and prescribed by Law."
The flag is prescribed by Municipal Law No. 724 of 10 October 1971.
The flag is blue with a white disk charged with the municipal coat of
http://www.camarariodaspedras.sp.gov.br/bandeira.asp - Website of the Municipal Council
The coat of arms is prescribed by Municipal Law No. 621 of 28 October
http://www.camarariodaspedras.sp.gov.br/brasao.asp - Website of the
Ivan Sache, 20 January 2013