Last modified: 2013-02-02 by ian macdonald
Keywords: sao paulo | piracaia |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Dirk Schönberger,
5 January 2013 and Ivan Sache, 7 January 2013
Based on: http://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piracaia
Vertical triband, light blue-white-light blue with the municipal arms in the centre.
Official website at
Dirk Schönberger, 4 January 2013
Piracaia was founded by Leonor de Oliveira Franco, who built an hermitage dedicated to St. Anthony, close to river Cachoeira. The settlement that developed nearby was established as the parish of Piracaia by Provincial Law no. 44 of 2 March 1836, as part of the municipality of Atibaia. THe district of Piracaia was transferred to the municipality of Nazaré by Provincial Law No. 404 of 10 June 1850. The municipality of Santo Antônio da Cachoeira was established by Provincial Law No. 12 of 24 March 1859, inaugurated on 31 July 1859, and renamed Piracaia by State Law No. 997 of 20 August 1906. Piracaia is named for two Tupi Guarani words meaning "fried fish".
The flag is vertically divided blue-white-blue with the municipal coat of arms in the middle.
The coat of arms is "Per fess, 1. Azure a St. Anthony's cross or in canton an escutcheon gules charged with an olive tree fructed proper, 2. Argent a fess wavy azure ensigned by a block of granite sable. The shield surmounted by a mural crown or ports sable ensigned by a cross sable. The shield supported dexter by a branch of coffee fructed proper and sinister by a branch of laurel proper. Below the shield a scroll argent inscribed with the motto 'MINHAS PIEDRAS SÃO PREDESTINADAS' surrounded by the dates '05-3-1836' and '24-3-1859', all sable."
The St. Anthony's cross recalls the patron saint of the town. The escutcheon charged with the olive tree, from the canting arms of the Oliveira family, is a tribute to the founder of the town, Leonor de Oliveira Franco. The block of black granite represents the main source of income for the municipality. The mural crown is a symbol of municipal emancipation. The open gates are a symbol of hospitality. The cross illuminates the way of the administrators. The branch of coffee represents the early source of income for the region and the Paulista work. The branch of laurel represents the local work. The fess wavy stands for river Cachoeira. the writing in black letters, in Portuguese, "My Stones are predestinated", is another reference to the local granite. The two dates recall the establishment of the parish and of the municipality, respectively.
http://www.piracaia.sp.gov.br/novo_site/index.php?exibir=secoes&ID=42 - Municipal website
Photos of the flag:
Ivan Sache, 7 January 2013