Last modified: 2013-02-02 by ian macdonald
Keywords: sao paulo | lavrinhas |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Dirk Schönberger,
1 December 2012
Vertically divided white and yellow by a broad zigzag black line, with the municipal shield on the white field.
Official website at
Dirk Schönberger, 1 December 2012
The symbols of Lavrinhas are prescribed in Article 2 of the Municipal
Constitution; adopted on 5 April 1990, as "the flag, the coat of arms
and the anthem, established by a Municipal Law".
http://www.lavrinhas.sp.gov.br/adm/publicacoes/A/LEI%20ORGANICA.pdf - Municipal Constitution
Photos of the flag
The coat of arms of Lavrinhas, designed by Lauro Ribeiro Escobar, is prescribed by Municipal Law No. 288 of 19 July 1976. "Iberic shield, gules three mounds or issuant from the base ensigned with three swords of the same, the central mound higher and charged with three arrows of the first. The shield surmounted by an eight- towered mural crown argent ports sable. The shield supported by two volunteers of the Constitutionalist Army holding their weapons. Beneath the shield a scroll gules inscribed with the motto 'CAVE NAM VIGILO' in letters or."
The Iberic shield, used in Portugal at the time of discovery of
Brazil, evokes the early colonizers and builders of our country.
Gules is a symbol of audacity, courage, valor, bravery, intrepidity,
nobleness, generosity and honour; it refers to the contribution of the
inhabitants of Lavrinhas to the 1932 Constitutionalist movement.
The sword is a symbol of war and justice, recalling that Lavrinhas,
together with São Paulo, raised in 1932 its sword to defend the Law,
fighting a civli war against tyranny.
The mounds are a symbol of greatness, firmness, knowledge and
nobleness; they refer to the mountainous region where Lavrinhas is
Or is a symbol of wealth, splendour, generosity, nobleness, glory,
power, force, faith, prosperity, sovereignty and rule; it represents
the gold-washing site for which the place was named.
The arrows recall the patron saint of the town, St. Sebastian.
The mural crown is a symbol of municipal emancipation. The open ports
are a symbol of hospitality.
The volunteers o the Constitutionalist Army recall, once again, the
heroic behaviour of the inhabitants.
The Latin motto, "Warning, I Watch", represents the spirit of the
inhabitants, always prepared to shed their blood to defend the
http://lavrinhastur.blogspot.fr/2007/11/simbolos-municipais.html - Lavrinhas blog
Ivan Sache, 26 January 2013
image by Ivan Sache,
26 January 2013
The previous flag of Lavrinhas was prescribed by Municipal Law No. 288 of 19 July 1976. The flag is divided yellow-white by a three-pointed red serration. The municipal coat of arms is placed in the middle of the yellow panel. The dimensions of the flag are 14 units x 20 units. The height of the coat of arms is 4.5 units.
http://lavrinhastur.blogspot.fr/2007/11/simbolos-municipais.html - Lavrinhas blog, 22 November 2007
Photo of the previous flag
Ivan Sache, 26 January 2013