Last modified: 2021-12-11 by ian macdonald
Keywords: santa catarina | presidente castello branco |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Ivan Sache, 5 November 2021
The municipality of Presidente Castello Branco (1,724 inhabitants in 2010;
7,694 ha) is located 450 km west of Florianópolis.
Presidente Castello Branco was established in 1935 as Dois Irmãos (Two Brothers) by André and Pedro Sampietro, two Italian immigrants coming from Rio Grande do Sul.
The district of Dois Irmãos was established, within the municipality of Capinzal, on 29 September 1952, and transferred in 1963 to the newly formed municipality of Ouro. The municipality of Dois Irmãos was established by State Law No 931 promulgated on 11 November 1963 and inaugurated on 4 February 1964.
The municipality was renamed to Presidente Castello Branco by State Law No. 1,037 promulgated on 29 December 1965. Field Marshal Humberto Castello Branco (1897-1967) was the 26th President of Brazil (1964-1967) and the first of the military dictatorship he contributed to establish.
Ivan Sache, 5 November 2021
The flag and arms of Presidente Castello Branco are prescribed by Municipal
Law No. 410 promulgated on 27 October 1982.
The flag of the municipality of Presidente Castello Branco, designed by the heraldist and vexillologist Lauro Ribeiro Escobar, is described as follows. Rectangular, red with a white cross, superimposed on the arms' intersection with a white circle charged with the coat of arms described in Article 19.
The cross' arms are 3 units in width, the median line of the vertical branch located 7 unit from the hoist; the circle is 8 units in diameter and the coat of arms is 7 units in width.
In compliance with heraldic rules, the municipal flag shall have the official dimensions prescribed for the national flag, 14 units in width on 20 units in length.
The coat of arms of the municipality of Presidente Castello Branco, designed by the heraldist and vexillologist Lauro Ribeiro Escobar, is described as follows. Iberian shield. Gules a castle argent masoned and ports and windows sable bordered ermine. The shield surmounted by an eight-towered mural crown argent ports sable. The shield supported dexter by a maize plant and sinister by a soybean plant all leaved and fructed proper. A scroll gules with the toponym "Pres. Castello Branco" argent.
The coat of arms has the following characteristics.
a) The Iberian shield was used in Portugal at the time of discovery of Brazil; its use evokes the first colonizers and developers of the country.
b) Gules (red) is the heraldic symbol of courage, audacity, valor, bravery, nobleness, generosity and honor. The castle is a symbol of greatness, defense, protection, magnanimity, safety, nobleness and strong virtue, elements of the character of the Castello Branco family, and also making the arms canting. Gules (red) and the castle were also adopted to represent the attributes of the municipality, who, with courageous spirit, face obstacles and overcome barriers to build the greatness of the municipality.
c) Argent is the heraldic symbol of felicity, purity, temperance, truth, frankness, integrity and friendship, alluding to the municipality's atmosphere of harmony and kindness.
d) The bordure is a symbol of favor and protection; the ermines, a symbol of high dignity, highlight the high office of Head of State of the municipality's namesake.
e) The mural crown is a symbol of political emancipation; argent with eight towers, five of them visible, it is proper to towns. The open doors sable (black) proclaim the hospitable character of the people.
f) The maize and soybean plants highlight the fertility of the generous soil [...]
Leis Municipais database
Ivan Sache, 5 November 2021