Last modified: 2020-07-25 by ian macdonald
Keywords: rio grande do sul | lavras do sul |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Ivan Sache, 19 July 2020
The municipality of Lavras do Sul (7,679 inhabitants in 2010; 26,006 ha) is
located 320 km north-west of Porto Alegre. The municipality is composed of the
districts of Lavras (seat) and Ibaré.
Lavras do Sul originates in a camp established at the end of the 18th century by gold-washers on the banks of river Camaquã. On 25 October 1831, the settlement of Santo Antônio das Lavras was transferred from Rio Pardo to Caçapava; the first church, erected in 1846, became the religious and political center of gravity of the town. The Portuguese Antônio Lobo and the Spaniard Luciano Uriarte built its first masoned houses. The first Municipal Chamber was unofficially established in 1850, composed of an intendent, a judge and a police delegate.
In the aftermath of the Paraguayan War, the Gold Mining Company, built of private English shares, established its seat in 1872 in the town under the guidance of engineer William Chalmer.
The district of Lavras was established within Caçapava by Provincial Law No. 82 promulgated on 13 November 1847. The municipality of Lavras was established by Provincial Law No. 364 established in 9 May 1882 and renamed to Lavras do Sul by State Decree-Law No. 720 promulgated on 29 December 1944.
Ivan Sache, 19 July 2020
The flag of Lavras do Sul, designed by Amparo Carvalho, was
inaugurated on 31 August 1978.
The coat of arms of Lavras do Sul, designed by Jorge Schwartz, is prescribed by Municipal Law No. 1 promulgated on 9 May 1965.
A shield divided into three parts. First, on a green background, a plow representing agriculture as a symbol of productivity, food supply and subsistence; second, on a yellow background, a bull's head as a characteristic symbol of cattle-breeding, the main source of income and evolution for the municipality; third, a gold washer at work, representing the origin of the settlement. Beneath the shield a yellow scroll inscribed argent with the town's name, date of foundation and date of political emancipation, and the writing "TERRA DE OURO", the region's traditional nickname. The shield surmounted by a mural crown argent and or, symbolizing in heraldry a great town eager to progress and fortified by union.
Leis Municipais database
Ivan Sache, 19 July 2020