Last modified: 2022-03-05 by ian macdonald
Keywords: parana | são jerônimo da serra |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The municipality of São Jerônimo da Serra (11,336 inhabitants in 2010; 82,377
ha) is located 350 km north-west of Curitiba. The municipality is composed of
the districts of São Jerônimo da Serra (seat), Terra Nova, São João do Pinhal
and Vila Nova de Florença.
São Jerônimo da Serra was established in 1854, as São Thomas de Papanduva, by the evangelization expedition led by Joaquim Francisco Lopes and João Elliot. This early name, however, is disputed by some historians. The next expedition, led in 1867 by Colonel João da Silva Machado - Baron of Antonina - and Friars Luiz de Cemitille and Timóteo renamed the place to São Jerônimo, after the building of a chapel dedicated to St. Hieronymus.
The municipality of São Jerônimo was first established by Law No. 1,918 promulgated on 23 February 1920, separating from Tibagi. State Decree-Law No. 199 promulgated on 30 December 1943 and ratified by State Decree-Law No. 311 promulgated on 26 February 1945 transferred the seat of the municipality of São Jerônimo, renamed to Araiporanga, to the former district of Congonhinhas. State Law No. 2 promulgated on 10 October 1947 re-established the municipality of Araiporanga, which was eventually renamed to São Jerônimo da Serra in late 1951.
The flag of São Jerônimo da Serra is blue, quartered by a yellow-red-yellow cross superimposed in the center with a yellow disc inscribing the municipal coat of arms.
Ivan Sache, 10 February 2022