This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Quedas do Iguaçu, Paraná (Brazil)

Last modified: 2022-03-05 by ian macdonald
Keywords: parana | quedas do iguaçu |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Flag of Quedas do Iguaçu, PR (Brazil)] image by Dirk Schönberger, 18 September 2011
See also:

About the Flag

The municipality of Quedas de Iguaçu (33,543 inhabitants in 2017; 82, 150 ha) is located 450 km west of Curitiba.

Quedas de Iguaçu was established in 1930-1932 by Companhia Mercantil Paranaense to establish Polish immigrants in a new colony named Jagoda (Polish, "Fruit"). Renamed to Campo Novo and established a district of Laranjeiras do Sul, the place was elevated the municipality of Quedas de Iguaçu by State Law No. 5,668 promulgated on 18 October 1967 and inaugurated on 15 December 1968.
The new municipality was named ("Iguaçu Falls") for Salto Osório, a waterfall flooded after the establishment of the Salto Osório power plant.
Municipal website

The flag of Quedas do Iguaçu was designed on 3 January 1972 by a committee appointed by the Mayor, composed of Antonio Monteiro da Silva, Zelinda Monteiro da Silva, Valério Piascescki, Antonio Ivo Giraldi, Elizeu Mirman de Camargo and Ervino Lins. The municipal coat of arms was designed the same day.

The flag measures 1.20 m in length by 0.90m in width. It is yellow with a celestial blue lozenge inscribing the municipal coat of arms. The municipality's flag was chosen as the most beautiful in the state of Paraná by the National Defense League.

The coat of arms of Quedas do Iguaçu is composed of a shield with a white background, containing a star that represents the district of Espigão Alto (subsequently elevated a municipality).
The pine tree represents the forests, while the waterfall symbolizes the municipality's name (Iguaçu Falls). The sun represents natural environment.
The shield is surmounted by a crown and supported by two wheat stalks on each side, the seed of luck and faith. Beneath the shield a scroll inscribed with the date of creation of the municipality, "10/18/67".
Antonio Monteiro da Silva, 9 July 2011

The flag in use at the Municipal Chamber has the name of the municipality written in an arched pattern above the coat of arms.


Ivan Sache, 7 February 2022