Last modified: 2022-03-05 by ian macdonald
Keywords: parana | kaloré |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The municipality of Kaloré (4,473 inhabitants in 2014; 19,330 ha) is located
400 km north-west of Curitiba.
Kaloré was established in 1948 by Heleno Justino da Silva, aka Gato Preto (Black Cat), the local representative of Comercial Agrícola São Vicente and Companhia Melhoramentos Norte do Paraná. The place was named for a Kaigangue world meaning "a fertile land".
The municipality of Kaloré was established by State Law No. 89 promulgated on 7 August 1961, separating from Marumbi, and inaugurated on 8 December 1962.
The flag of Kaloré is red, quartered by a white-black-white saltire superimposed in the center by a white disc inscribing the municipal coat of arms.
The arms feature a black cat holding a hoe, which is a straightforward reference to the town's founder, Gato Preto (Black Cat).
Ivan Sache, 5 February 2022