Last modified: 2013-12-01 by ivan sache
Keywords: lloyd rhenan sa de transports | rheinischer lloyd transport ag | cross (green) | anchor (white) | wheel: winged (white) | diamond (red) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Lloyd Rhénan S.A. de Transports, aka Rheinischer Lloyd Transport A.G., had its seat in Antwerp.
Quoting Mario Boone's scripophily website (offer no longer online):
The statutes on the reverse of the share, issued on 22 May 1901 [the company's foundation year], list the 22 Rhine ships brought to the company by the founder, who also brought in the repair shops at Bingen am Rhein, near Mainz. These ships consisted of 18 large vessels of around 800 tons, and 4 smaller ones. The founders were William Egan (after whom all the ships were named!), shipowner of Frankfurt, Louis de Egan, shipping councillor to the government of Hungary, of Fiume (now Rijeka, Croatia), Alfred Egan, chief engineer to the Hungarian State Railways, of Agram (now Zagreb, Croatia), Edouard Egan, chief engineer, of Budapest, Frédéric Brockdorff and Albert Kreglinger, businessmen of Antwerp, and Charles Bauss, lawyer of Antwerp.
Jan Mertens, 3 May 2005
The house flag of Lloyd Rhénan S.A. de Transports, as shown on the aforementioned share, is yellow with a green cross throughout, fimbriated white, and a
central red diamond showing maybe a white female figure (a Rhine maiden or the alegory of Commerce?). The horizontal arms
of the cross bear 3 + 3 white dots, separated by the diamond, and the
vertical ones 2 + 2. A white winged wheel is placed in canton, and a white anchor is placed diagonally in the lower left corner.
Accompanying this flag on the share are the national flags of Germany (of the period), Belgium, and the Netherlands. A nice touch is the picture of the barge flying Belgian colours and this particular house flag.
Jan Mertens, 7 September 2007