This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Lendelede (Municipality, Province of West Flanders, Belgium)

Last modified: 2019-07-30 by ivan sache
Keywords: lendelede |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Flag of Lendelede]

Municipal flag of Lendelede - Image by Peter Hans van den Muijzenberg, 25 August 2007

See also:

Presentation of Lendelede

The municipality of Lendelede (5,411 inhabitants on 1 January 2007; 1,315 ha) is located a few kilometers north of Kortrijk.

According to old chronicles, the municipal territory of Lendelede was crossed from north to south by a Roman way. Anyway, the oldest mention of the village, as Lethae, dates back to 1078, on a document from the St. Salvator Chapter in Harelbeke, kept in the Kortrijk State Archives; a woman named Folkswinde and her sons offerred two hectares of land to the village of Lethae, which might already have had a chapel or a church. In 1146, Bishop Anselm of Tournai transferred the altare liedda (altar of Lendelede) to the the St. Martin abbey in Tournai, which indicates that there was already a parish church in the village.
The most famous lords of Lendelede belonged to the De Beer family; they were also lords of Meulebeke, Grammeene and Merkem. Expelled by the French revolutionaries, the last lord of Lendelede, Baron Valérien-Aimé de La Grange (1734-1798), died in poverty in the Netherlands.
Lendelede is the birth village of Lodewijk Baekelandt (1774-1803), the leader of a famous band of rascals during the French Revolution, who was eventually caught and beheaded with several members of his gang on the Market Square of Bruges.

Source: Municipal website

Ivan Sache, 25 August 2007

Municipal flag of Lendelede

The municipal flag of Lendelede is horizontally divided blue-white-yellow-red.
According to Gemeentewapens in België - Vlaanderen en Brussel, the flag was adopted by the Municipal Council on 24 April 1980, confirmed by Royal Decree on 1 December 1980 and published in the Belgian official gazette on 22 January 1981.
The colours of the flag are taken from the municipal arms.

According to the municipal website, the official description of the flag is Vier even hoge banen van blauw, wit, geel en rood.
The municipal arms are those from the unfortunate last lord of Lendelede, Valérien-Aimé de La Grange, officially described as:
In lazuur (blauw) een kruis van goud, vergezeld van achttien gelijke gouden blokjes, vijf in de bovenhoeken 2-1-2 geplaatst en vier in de benedenbovenhoeken 2-2 gerangschikt; het hartschild in keel (rood) bezaaid met goudkorrels van zilver; een rechtopstaande beer van goud, aan de hals geketend met een gebroken ketting van hetzelfde, geklauwd, getongd en gehalsband van lazuur; het schild getopt met een kroon van goud met drie fleurons gescheiden door drie paren 1 en 2 geplaatst en vast gehouden door twee wildemannen in vleeskleur, omgord en gekroond met bladeren van sinopel (groen). De rechtse steunt op een knots in natuurlijke kleur, de linkse draagt een gelijkaardige knots op de linkerschouder.
(Azure a cross or cantonned with 18 billets of the same, five placed 2 + 1 + 2 in the two upper quarters and four placed 2 + 2 in the two lower quarters; overall an escutcheon gules semé with gold nuggets argent (sic!), a bear or with a broken chain of the same, armed, langued and collared azure [...]).

Pascal Vagnat & Ivan Sache, 25 August 2007