Last modified: 2013-12-01 by ivan sache
Keywords: kortessem |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Kortessem - Image by Jarig Bakker, 10 October 2001
The municipality of Kortessem (in Limburgian, Kotsoeve; 8,153 inhabitants on 1 January 2007; 3,390 ha) is located in Vochtig (Wet) Haspengouw, southern Limburg. The municipality of Kortessem is made since 1976 of the former municipalities of Kortessem (1,038 ha), Guigoven (353 ha), Vliermaal (937 ha), Vliermaalroot (634 ha) and Wintershoven (408 ha).
Kortessem was mentioned for the first time in 741, as Villa Cutricias,
from Latin cortorium, "an enclosure". Like all the other villages, it
belonged to the County of Loon. Kortessem was a rich barony, whose most famous lord was Philip of Montmorency, Count of Horne, beheaded in
Brussels in 1568.
The oak called Lievehereboom ("God's tree") was planted around yer 800 on the border of the domains of Wellen and Kortessem. It has today a single branch, leaved every year.
Guigoven was mentioned for the first time in 980, as Villa guodengohovo, Godo's lineage's estate. Its parish church belonged from the 11th century onwards to the abbey of Munsterbilzen.
Vliermaal was mentioned for the first time in 1297, as Fliedermael, the seat of a Frankish court (mallum) located in a place planted with elders (in Dutch, vlier).
Vliermaalroot was mentioned for the first time in 1367, as Vlidermale Roide, that is the rode or root of Vliermaal, the rode being here the place were flax was retted. Vliermaalroot depended on Vliermaal until 1865 but its parish seceded in 1839.
Wintershoven was mentioned for the first time in 976, as Villa Wintreshovo, Winidahari's estate. The village was in the 7th-8th centuries an important center of evangelization of southern Limburg.
Source: Municipal website
Ivan Sache, 10 August 2007
The flag of Kortessem is quartered yellow-red.
According to Gemeentewapens in België - Vlaanderen en Brussel [w2v02], the flag is prescribed by a Decree adopted on 30 July 1987 by the Municipal Council, confirmed on 17 November 1987 by the Executive of Flanders, and published on 16 September 1988 in the Belgian official gazette.
The flag is based on the medieval arms of the Knights of Kortessem.
The flag is not related to the municipal arms.
Pascal Vagnat & Ivan Sache, 10 August 2007