Last modified: 2011-10-22 by rick wyatt
Keywords: altoona | pennsylvania | blair county |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image located by Valentin Poposki, 13 March 2010
Reported in the Popular Mechanics Magazine, August 1915:
Civic Flag is Adopted by Pennsylvania Town
Following a local competition, the city council of Altoona, Pa., officially adopted a design for a municipal flag. The purpose of the banner is to arouse civic pride, advertise the community and stimulate allegiance to its home industries. The flag has a dark blue rectangular field, one and one-twelfth times as long as it is wide, surrounded by a gold border. The design consists of a large keystone of blue outlined with white, on which is placed the seal of the city. At the top of the keystone is the coat of arms of Pennsylvania done in gold, black, pale green, and pale blue.