Last modified: 2016-02-08 by ivan sache
Keywords: south-western caucasian republic | kars republic | crescent (white) | star (white) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of the South-Western Caucasian Republic - Image by © www.mysona.dk, after Jaume Ollé, 4 June 2009
This republic, while incorporating territories today part of Georgia, Armenia and Turkey, was mostly active around the town of Kars, today in Turkey.
Russia ceded Kars, Ardahan and Batum to the Ottoman Empire under the Treaty of Brest-Litovsk on March 3, 1918. However, by then Kars was under the effective control of Armenian and non-Bolshevik Russian forces. The Ottoman Empire captured Kars on April 25, 1918, but under the Armistice of Mudros (October 1918) was required to withdraw to its 1914 frontier. The Ottomans refused to relinquish Kars; its military governor instead constituting a provisional government, the South West Caucasian Government, led by Fahrettin Pirioğlu, that claimed Turkish sovereignty over Kars and the Turkish-speaking and Islamic neighbouring regions as far as Batumi and Alexandropol (Gyumri). Much of the region was occupied by the Democratic Republic of Armenia in January 1919 but the pro-Turkish government remained in the city until the arrival of the British troops, who dissolved it on April 19, 1919, arresting its leaders and sending them to Malta.
Ivan Sache, 4 June 2009
The flag of the South-Western Caucasian Republic was vertically divided green-red (1:2), with a white crescent and star in the red stripe
Jaume Ollé, 17 November 1996