Last modified: 2019-11-25 by ivan sache
Keywords: koçarlı |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Koçarlı - Image by Tomislav Šipek, 1 November 2019
The municipality of Koçarlı (24,646 inhabitants in 2012, 6,402 in the town of Koçarlı; 46,749 ha) is located 20 km south-west of Aydın.
Ivan Sache, 2 November 2019
The flag of Koçarlı (photo) is white with the municipality's emblem. "Belediyesi" means "Municipality".
The emblem was changed by the new municipal administration, in the aftermath of the conquest of the municipal majority by the AKP from the CHP.
The abbreviation "T.C.", for "Türkiye Cumhuriyeti", "Republic of Turkey" was added to the writing on the emblem's border, now written in red on white.
Representations of the main local crops have been added in base: a cotton boll, two branches of olives with black fruits, two pine cones, and a fig.
The new logo is expected to increase the visibility of the town; accordingly, the mayor plans to transform the yearly Pine Nut Festival into the Pine Nut, Fig and Olive Festival.
[SES Gazetesı, 11 March 2019]
The emblem features the town's landmark, the tower erected in 1763 century by Ibrahim Aga, the head of the Cihanoğlu lineage. The tradition says that this powerful family emerged during Suleiman the Magnificent's rule; heading to Rhodes in 1522, the sultan considered the birth of a child in the tent of the tribal chief Mehmet Bey as a good omen and named the child Cihan. Returning from his successful campaign, the sultan offered a vast territory to Mehmet Bey.
The tower was transformed in the early 20th century in a public bath. The mansion originally erected adjacent to the tower collapsed in 1948 after a blaze.
[Azbibak, 12 February 2019; Haberler, 2 July 2012]
Tomislav Šipek & Ivan Sache, 2 November 2019
Former flag of Koçarlı
Flag of Koçarlı - Image by Tomislav Šipek, 16 April 2015
The former flag of Koçarlı (photo) was white with the municipality's former emblem. "Belediyesi" means "Municipality".
Tomislav Šipek, 16 April 2015