Last modified: 2020-02-27 by rob raeside
Keywords: krasnodar | armavir city |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Our colleague Jens Pattke (Frankfurt/Oder, Germany) has drawn images of flag and coat of arms of the city-municipality of Armavir in the Kray of Krasnodar (Russian Federation). On October, 20, 2005 by the Decision number 103 the municipal Duma (council) of Armavir has adopted a flag and coat of arms of city-municipality of Armavir. The flag is s.c. armorial flag and occurs (repeats) the coat of arms of city. In 1839 on the left coast of the Kuban river at a confluence of her the Urup river have been moved mountain Armenians (resettlement of Armenians in mountains of Northern Caucasus began at the end of XIV century, after wreck Armenian Kilikia Kingdom). Crossing of two blue strips on a flag and coat of arms shows a place of merge of two rivers near to which the city has been founded. In 1848 to this Armenian settlement name *Armavir* has been given, in honour of ancient capital of Great Armenia in 4-2 centuries B.C. Armavir quickly developed, in 1876 became status of village, and in 1914 under the decree of emperor has been transformed into city. The greatest development has manufacture of sunflower oil, on which scales Armavir has borrowed leading position in all Russian Empire. Therefore development of the industry is reflected in a flag and coat of arms by a flower of sunflower. The sunflower - a symbol of a prosperity, prosperity, heat and peace. The peace and consent, in which during all history of Armavir in him representatives more than eighty nationalities live, it is displayed in a flag and coat of arms white (silver) cadux. The cadux - is a ancient emblem of peaceful disposition becoming subsequently a traditional symbol of trade and crafts, also displays the commerce advanced in city and the industry.
Andrew Weeks, 18 Aug 2011