Last modified: 2018-12-15 by rob raeside
Keywords: mysliborz |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Symbolism of the flag:
There are no documents validating the use of flag by the German authorities of the County.
Project of the flag was worked out, on the basis of the Arms, in 2000. Whole composition of the flag: from the hoist, white field of 1/3 length of the flag, in which upper part is the Coat of Arms of the County (in ceremonial version). In the lower part, five blue stripes corresponding to the five waves of the Arms. 2/3 length of the flag is made-up of horizontal fields of equal size, upper - red, lower - blue.
The flag project wasn't approved however.
Source of drawings: Gazeta Lubuska from 23-II-2000; Gorzów Wlkp.
Jens Pattke, 1 Sep 2002
History of the County Arms:
Arms of Mysliborz County (former German County "Landkreis Soldin") were introduced by the German authorities of the County (Rat des Landkreises Soldin) on October 28,1929. At that time it was led by the Landrat, Max-Berndt von Saldern-Mantel. Those arms existed until 1945. Polish authorities, beside the fact of confirming the county, did not use any arms after the end of World War II.
The information concerning the County Arms can be found in the book by Martin Albertz - "Acht Jahrhunderte Soldiner Kirchegeschichte" (Soldin 1931,p.8) or in the book by Erwin Günther - "Wappen und Flaggen der Stadt- und Landkreise Brandenburgs und der ehemaligen Grenzmark Posen-Westreussen" (Limbach-Oberfrohna 1998, p.114).
County Arms, in color, are presented in the publication - -"Das unvergänglische Bild unseres ostdeutschen Heimatkreises Soldin" (Soltau 1983).
Description of the Arms:
Shield - spanish, two-folded. In the right, upper part, on the silver (white)field is a red cross of Templars. In the right, lower part of the shield there are five, wavy lines of blue color on silver field. In the left field of the shield, on the blue field is a silver (white) fish with the fins and tail of red color and the top fin on its back pointing to the left.
Symbolism of the Arms:
The Red Cross of Templars is symbolising the presence of the Order on the territory of the contemporary Mysliborz County. In 1232, one of the Wielkopolska Princeses, Wladyslaw Odonic, issued the document giving the Templars the Village of Chwarszczany and 1,000 lans(?) of land on the both banks of the River Mysl, what meant the control of the area of Mysliborz. In 1235, all these was confirmed by the Pope Innocent IV. The Templars instituted the Komturia in Chwarszczany and, possibly, in
Myslibor also. The blue waves are symbolising the water, the river, occurances connected to water, Mysliborz lakes, river Mysl and the five districts included in the County (Barlinek, Boleszkowice, Debno, Mysliborz, Nowogrodek Pomorski). The silver fish (in German "Kleine Maräne", in Latin: "coregonus lavaretus albula") is symbolising the villages of the fishermen. Also, it is a religious symbol, traditionally symbolising Christ. It signifies 1124 christianizin mission of St.Otton from Bamberg in the territories of the present-day Mysliborz County, among others, through Nowogrodek Pomorski and Gizyn all the way to Pyrzyce.
Information from this website, translated by Chrystian Kretowicz, 1 Sep 2002.