Last modified: 2018-12-15 by rob raeside
Keywords: wladyslawowo |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
In 1634 Fryderyk Getkant - German engineer in service of King Władysław
IV Waza (Vasa) designed a fort called Władysławowo located on the
Hel Peninsula, several km east of today's town of Władysławowo. After World
War I, at the insistence of U.S. president Woodrow Wilson at Versailles,
Poland got an access
to the sea (albeit limited, with only one meager port - Puck, until the construction of the modern port of Gdynia was completed in late 1920s).
The fishing port Władysławowo was built in 1936-38. The city rights were bestowed on it in 1963.
Władysławowo is the site of the first radio station broadcasting in the Kashubian language - Radio Kaszëbë, operating since 2004.
The first Arms of the city were awarded in 1973 and designed by Ms.Halina
Różewicz-Książkiewicz and show the red initial "W" with the golden crown
inside it (to honor King Władysława IV Waza) and an image of salmon on
the background of the stylized blue fishing net.
The present Arms and flag of Władysławowo were adopted on February 16, 1996 (resolution # XVIII/138/96).
"Arms: on the blue field of the shield a white wall of two rows of bricks
divides the shield into two parts. On top of the wall there are two white
towers and between them large and crowned gold letter "W".
Lower part of the shield shows a salmon swimming to the right behind the fishing net.
Supporters are two silver-black griffins with the golden crowns.
Above the shield is a mural municipal crown made of red bricks and below the shield is a ribbon with the legend in Kashubian language: "Më trzimómë z Bogãã" (We Believe in God).
Flag: rectangular piece of cloth in the ratio 5:8 composed of two horizontal
fields in proportions 1:1.
The upper field is blue. The lower field is divided into three equal horizontal bands of yellow-black-yellow."
Chrystian Kretowicz, 2 Nov 2008