Last modified: 2018-12-15 by rob raeside
Keywords: piwniczna-zdro |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
King Kazimierz III Wielki (Casimir the Great) established Piwniczna as a town in 1348. It developed fast thanks to the robust trade with Hungary. In 1884 mineral waters were discovered and the town became a fashionable spa. There is a border crossing to Slovakia.
Arms and flag adopted on January 31, 2003 (resolution # V/30/03).
"Arms: on the blue field a white lamb holding a white pennant with a red "maltese" cross (that's how it is described in the law).
The lamb represents Saint John the Baptist, on whose day the town received the rights from King Casimir the Great (July 1, 1348)
Flag: white, with the Arms in the middle."
Chrystian Kretowicz, 12 Dec 2008