Last modified: 2018-12-15 by rob raeside
Keywords: nowa sucha |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Chrystian Kretowicz, 7 Jul 2010
adopted 19 Dec 2002
The village Kozłów Biskupi (Bishop's Goat) had the first, wooden, church
built in 1244. According to Jan Długosz, it was a place of rest (June 29,
1410) for the King Władysław Jagiełło and his Polish, Czech and Moravian
armies on the way to the battlefield of Grunwald. From there, he dispatched
12 Polish units to cover the crossing of the River Narew by the Lithuanian,
Ruthenian and Tatar forces of the Grand Duke Vytautas (Witold).
The monumental Battle of Grunwald (Tannenberg) took place on July 15, 1410.
It was also a scene of very heavy fighting in both of the World Wars and, subsequently, it is a place of the numerous cemeteries of the Polish, German, Russian and Soviet soldiers.
The Arms and flag of the commune were officially adopted on December
19, 2002 (resolution # 24/IV/2002)
Arms: On the shield, quartedly divided are
1. An apple tree (in natural colors) on a gold (yellow) background
2. white goat's head on red
3. golden ear of wheat on red
4 white cross on gold (yellow)
In the center is a disc with two monograms: black "S" and golden "N".
The disc is divided diagonally into two fields: upper - white, lower - red in ascending fashion.
Flag: A slightly vertical rectangle formed into a checkerboard of four
color fields: yellow-red-red-yellow (clockwise).
Chrystian Kretowicz, 7 Jul 2010