This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Aduard (The Netherlands)

Zuidhorn municipality, Groningen province

Last modified: 2018-12-15 by rob raeside
Keywords: aduard |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Aduard flag] by Jarig Bakker, 21 Sep 2004
adopted 30 Nov 1972; design: Stichting Banistiek en Heraldiek

See also:

Aduard former municipality

Aduard is a former municipality in Groningen province, now part of Zuidhorn municipality. Locally known as Auwerd (which is also the Frisian name). It had 2.500 inhabitants in the settlements Aduard (seat), Den Ham, Den Horn, Hoogemeeden, Lagemeeden, Fransum, De Poffert, Aduardervoorwerk, Altenauw, Fransummervoorwerk, Gaaikemadijk, Nieuwklap, Wierum, and Wierumerschouw (part).
In Aduard was the largest and richest monastery in Groningen, a Cisteriensian abbey, which was a center of learning since the 15th century. It was demolished in 1580. Notable pupils of the abbey were Wessel Gansfort and Rudolf Agricola.

Flag: white with a cross consisting of two rows of alternating blue and yellow squares, of which the vertical arm is at 1/3 flaglength, with a width of 1/5 flagheight; in the corners of the cross, diagonally placed with the bottom in the corner, four french fleurs-de-lis of 1/8 flagheight.
The color of the municipal shield is white, which was used for the flag as well. The chequy bar from the arms consist of three rows; on the flag of two, and the crozier from the arms has not been used - the cross equally symbolizes a religious motif. A cross was used because several other Groninger municipalities had already used one - the provincial flag and Bedum are examples. The fleur-de-lis is from the Coat of Arms, and originates from Clairvaux and France, where the original monastery was founded.
Adopted 30 Nov 1972 after design by the Stichting Banistiek en Heraldiek.
Jarig Bakker, 21 Sep 2004

Aduard Coat of Arms

[Aduard Coat of Arms] by Jarig Bakker, 21 Sep 2004, after image in the Koffie Hag album.
Granted 25 Feb 1892