This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Porva (Veszprem, Hungary)

Porva község

Last modified: 2021-08-12 by zachary harden
Keywords: hungary | veszprem | porva |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors




image by Istvan Molnar, 20 May 2003



See also:


Overview

Porva is a village in Veszprém county in Hungary near to Town of Zirc (9 km west) in the Bakony Mountains. The village has got 502 inhabitants (2001 census), nearly all of them are Hungarian. Neighbouring settlements are Csesznek, Bakonyszentkirály, Bakonyszentlászló, Fenyőfő, Bakonybél, Pénzesgőr, Lókút and Borzavár villages.
The territory of the settlement is inhabited from the stone age. The first mention of the settlement is from 1260 as 'PROWA IN BAKON'. At the time of the Turkish wars (1526-1699) the settlement was devastated. The village was resettled by the Abbey of Zirc in 1720-1768 with Roman Catholic Germans. In 1910 Porva was a village in the Zirc district of Veszprém County. Number of its inhabitants in 1910: 837; 610 (72,9%) Hungarian and 227 (27,1%) German by mother tongue, 831 (99,3%) Roman Catholic and 6 (0,7%) Jew by religion. By the 1941 census 69,3% of its inhabitants was German. After the WWII Germans was deported to Germany.
The coat of arms and the flag was adopted by the Res. No. 2/1998.(IV.17.)  resolution of the community.
Symbolism of the coat of arms: The pointed shield is divided with purple wavy stripe. In the gold shield-head there are two green hills relate to the Koris-hegy (Ash Hill) and the Kék-hegy (Blue Hill). In the green field there are a silver flax, a silver "unidentifyed agricultural plant" and an axe.
Sources: Resolution from the Mayor's Office, coat of arms from the book: A Bakony. Turistakaluz és útkönyv 1: 40 000; Cartographia Kft., Budapest 2002.
Istvan Molnar, 20 May 2003


Construction Sheet

image by Istvan Molnar, 20 May 2003