Last modified: 2018-07-24 by ivan sache
Keywords: impresa fiume-venezia-ancona di leopold schwarz |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
House flag of Fiume-Venezia - Image by Željko Heimer, 17 October 2004
The Fiume-Venetia Society owned by Lipót Schwarz and Girolamo Prister
was established in 1884. In the beggining they worked with a single
small wooden hull steamer but after they had managed to sign a
contract with the state their fleet was extended so passenger and
freight forwarding could start on the Fiume-Ancona line as well.
At the time of Ungaro-Croata's creation they worked with two bigger and a smaller steamer of which two sank due to collisions. Only one of
the ships could be refloated and sold. To make up for the loss a large
cabin steamer was purchased.
Lipót Schwarz headed the company alone since 1895 which got a new name, too: Impresa Fiume-Ancona e Fiume-Venezia. With support of the government a new ship was ordered from England, then a few years later another even larger one from Germany. The company was wound up in 1900 and its assets were brought into Ungaro-Croata in June, 1901. The four ship handed over represented a total of 2610 BRT and 3275 Hp.
Jószef Horváth, 16 April 2012
The house flag of Fiume-Venezia, as researched in the State Archives in Rijeka has a white and red "wolf-teeth" border (6 outward pointing white "teeth" along the vertical and 11 outward pointing white "teeth" along the horizontal edges, white rhomboid pieces in the corners), the central part green-red vertical bicolour with a white lozenge throughout including a blue emblem - a fouled blue anchor between the initials "L" and "S".
Željko Heimer & Márton Pelles, 2 April 2018