Last modified: 2021-05-15 by rob raeside
Keywords: whitnash |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Rob Raeside
based on arms at Whitnash Town Council website
On this page:
Whitnash is a town and civil parish located in the southeast of Warwickshire between Leamington Spa and Warwick. A Brief History of the town is found on their website, it says in part:
Source: Whitnash Town Council Website: The History of Whitnash.
Whitnash is mentioned in the Domesday Book, but there is evidence of a settlement in the Iron Age. The name Whitnash is generally thought to derive from the Anglo-Saxon "AT THE WHITE ASH". However other derivations include "PLACE BY THE WOOD", "SACRED ASH" or the "Meeting Place of the Wise."
There are a number of leylines (prehistoric tracks) traversing Whitnash. The Regia Via was the main Roman road from Radford Semele to Whitnash that passes through the Whitnash Brook Valley. The Valley is of great interest as it was the original site of the early collection of huts that constituted Whitnash as an ancient village.
The village of "Witenas" features in the Domesday Book in 1066 as part of the Stoneleigh Hundreds area (later merged into the Knightlow Hundreds). It then comprised around 250 acres owned by Humphrey and there were 11 villagers and 8 smallholders, with 6 ploughs and a meadow. The value of the land was estimated at 100 shillings!
Until about 1850, the only access to Whitnash was through paths and lanes across surrounding cultivated fields. It is likely that this relative isolation has bequeathed to the residents a strong sense of belonging to a distinct locality.
Although there is no marked town centre as such, a handful of half-timbered thatched cottages centred on St Margaret's Church mark the nucleus of the old village. The Church itself dates back to Saxon times, but was extended in the 14th century with an embattled tower and porch. Sir George Gilbert Scott, the celebrated Victorian architect, later added a south aisle.
The Church also contains a fine collection of stained glass and ancient brasses recognised to be amongst the finest in the country. The church was the main focal point in Whitnash, and most of the major civic events today, for example Remembrance Service, are commemorated here.
The flag of the Town Council of Whitnash is a white flag with the town Council emblem centred on it.
Valentin Poposki, 10 November 2005