Last modified: 2014-04-25 by ivan sache
Keywords: affreteurs indochinois | messageries maritimes | star (yellow) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
House flag of Affrêteurs Indochinois - Image by Ivan Sache, 2 October 2010
Affrêteurs Indochinois was based in Saigon (Ho Chi Minh City), the capital of the French Indochina. The company was a subsidiary the Messageries Maritimes, from which it purchased the ships Gouverneur Général Piquet (1926-1928) and Gouverneur Général Paul Doumer (1928-1932), operated on Messageries Maritimes secondary lines.
On 14 January 1930, the newspaper L'Ouest-Éclair announced the foundation of Société Maritime Indochinoise, a partnership between the Messageries Maritimes and the Affrêteurs Indochinois. Aimed at the development of lines to Java and South China, the company was commissioned by the Governor General of Indochina to operate the two new lines Saigon - Surabaya - Batavia (Jakarta) - Saigon and Saigon - Swatow (Shantou) - Hong Kong - Haiphong - Tourane (Da Nang) - Saigon, with a departure from Saigon once a month.
To reconstitute the French merchant fleet of Indochina after the Second World War, the Governor General of Indochina commissioned the Société des Services Contractuels des Messageries Maritimes to manage a fleet of cargo ships ordered in Canada, nicknamed Parks. The Affrêteurs Indochinois were allocated the Albert Calmette, the Huyne Khong An and the Yersin, while the Affrêteurs Maritimes Indochinois were allocated the Auguste Pavie, the Pigneau de Béhaine and the Gialong (photo). All the ships were taken back by the Governor General in June 1948, short before the incorporation of the refounded Messageries Maritimes.
Ivan Sache, 2 October 2010
Jean Randier (Histoire de la marine marchande française) shows the house flag of Affrêteurs Indochinois as blue with a yellow star in the middle.
Dominique Cureau, 2 October 2010