Last modified: 2022-06-17 by ivan sache
Keywords: yonne |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of ASUCM, reverse and obverse - Images by Olivier Touzeau, 30 June 2021
The municipality of Migennes (7,258 inhabitants in 2019; 1,658 ha) is known for the railway station of Laroche-Migennes, located on the territory of the municipality of Migennes, near Laroche-Saint-Cydroine.
Following the financial difficulties of the Compagnie du chemin de fer de Paris à Lyon (PL), the French state acquired the line from Paris to Lyon after the Revolution of 1848 and completed the work. The station was inaugurated on 12 August 1849, as La Roche, when the section of the Paris-Tonnerre line was opened by the State which, after carrying out the work, retroceded the line in 1852 to PL. The station and the line were part of the Compagnie des chemins de fer de Paris à Lyon et à la Méditerranée (PLM) created in 1857. Its location halfway between Paris and Dijon matched to the autonomy of the steam locomotives of the time. Accordingly, its use as a relay depot determined the importance of the station much more than the size of the towns it served. The station and its activities were at the origin of the development of the town of Migennes with significant arrivals of populations. On the eve of the Second World War, the station became the third depot in France with 1,500 railway workers assigned to it.
Two of the three rotundas were destroyed as well as many installations during the bombings of summer 1944. The end of steam locomotive traction and then the commissioning of the Southeast high-speed line (LGV Sud-Est) in 1981 between Paris and Lyon were at the origin of the slowdown in rail activities. The station brings nowadays together activities from several branches: commercial, traction, traffic (signaling stations), infrastructure, light maintenance and cleaning of trains.
The Association sportive et Union cheminote de Migennes (ASUCM) was established in 1945 from the merger of the Amicale Sportive de Migennes (ASM), created in 1912 by the Ministry of War, and the Union cheminote de Migennes (UCM). The flag of the ASUCM (photo, reverse side) is checkered 3 x 3 black an white with a vertical green stripe placed along the hoist and inscribed with "ASUCM" in yellow letters.
Olivier Touzeau, 30 June 2021