Last modified: 2021-07-10 by ivan sache
Keywords: la ferrière |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of La Ferrière - Image by Olivier Touzeau, 28 April 2021
The municipality of La Ferrière (5,285 inhabitants in 2018; 4,696 ha) is located 10 km north-east of La Roche-sur-Yon.
La Ferrière's church was first mentioned around 1300 as Ferraria, from Latin ferrum, "iron". The toponym Ferrière is commonly used to designate the site of old iron (fer) mines or forges. Here the exploitation of iron mines dates back to the Gallo-Roman era.
Served by the abbey of Maulé, the former Sainte-Radégonde church was replaced in the 19th century by a neo-Gothic church. The main lords of the place were the lords of Plessis-Bergeret, vassals of the principality of La Roche-sur-Yon. One of them, Gabriel de Chasteaubriand, was created Marquess in 1648.
Olivier Touzeau, 28 April 2021
The flag of La Ferrière (photo, photo) is white with the municipal logo.
Olivier Touzeau, 28 February 2021