This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Amiens (Municipality, Somme, France)

Last modified: 2021-06-27 by ivan sache
Keywords: amiens |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors


Flag of Amiens - Image by Olivier Touzeau, 18 July 2020

See also:

Presentation of Amiens

The municipality of Amiens (133,891 inhabitants in 2018; 4,948 ha), the capital of Picardy, is located 120 km north of Paris and 100 km south-west of Lille.
The cathedral of Amiens, listed on World Heritage List, is the tallest of the Gothic churches built in the 13th century and the largest in France of its kind.
Hortillonnages cover a 300-hectare swampy area arranged in numerous small plots for market garden and horticultural cultivation. Separated by narrow channels, most of the plots are accessible only by boat.

Amiens, named for the Ambiani, one of Gaul's main tribes, Amiens was incorporated to Francia in the 5th century. The Norsemen sacked the town in 859 and, again, in 882. In 1113, the town status of Amiens was recognized by King Louis VI; in 1185, the town was incorporated to the royal domain. In 1597, Spanish soldiers hold the town during the six-month siege of Amiens, which was eventally lifted by Henry IV.
During the 18th and 19th century, the textile tradition of Amiens became famous for its velours. During the industrial revolution, the town walls were demolished, opening up space for large boulevards around the town center. In 1848, the first trained arrived in Amiens, linking the town to Boulogne-sur-Mer.

During the 1870 Battle of Amiens, the city was occupied by invading Prussian forces. The town was fought over during both the First and Second World Wars, suffering significant damage and being occupied several times. The 1918 Battle of Amiens was the opening phase of the Hundred Days Offensive which led directly to the Armistice with Germany that ended the war. Amiens was heavily bombed by the Royal Air Force during the Second World War. The town was rebuilt according to Pierre Dufau's plans with a focus on widening the streets. These newer structures were primarily built of brick, concrete and white stone with slate roofs. Architect Auguste Perret designed the train station and nearby tower named for him.

Olivier Touzeau, 18 July 2020

Flag of Amiens

The flag of Amiens, as hoisted on the Town Hall, (photo, photo, photo, photo), is white with the municipal logo.

Olivier Touzeau, 18 July 2020

Former flag of Amiens


Former flag of Amiens - Image by Olivier Touzeau, 18 July 2020

The former flag of Amiens was vertically divided blue-red, using the colors of the municipal coat of arms.

Marin Montagnon, 18 July 2005

Le Sport d'Amiens


Flag of Le Sport d'Amiens - Image by Ivan Sache, 28 December 2009

In the last decade of the 19th century, "Le Sport", a "society promoting all sports" based at Amiens, orghanized the "Great Venetian Festival". The poster avertizing the event shows a flag, horizontally divided red-white-red-white-red, which is, undoubtedly, the flag of "Le Sport", since the rowers shown in the background wear a jersey with the same colour arrangement.

Ivan Sache, 28 December 2009