Last modified: 2021-07-10 by ivan sache
Keywords: chambery |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Chambéry - Image by Ivan Sache, 14 July 2000
The municipality of Chambéry (58,653 inhabitants in 2013; 2,099 ha) is located half distance (55 km) of Grenoble and Annecy.
Chambéry became the capital of the County of Savoy in 1232, which was erected to Duchy in 1391. After several French occupations, Duke Emmanuel-Philibert transfered in 1563 the capital of the Duchy to Turin, beyond the Alps mountains, and therefore less exposed to French conquest. As a compensation, Chambéry was granted in 1559 a Senate constituted on the model of the French (local) parliaments.
Ivan Sache, 14 July 2000
The flag of Chambéry (photo) is a banner of the municipal arms, "Gules a cross argent (Savoy) a star or in canton".
Pascal Vagnat, 14 July 2000