Last modified: 2021-04-10 by ivan sache
Keywords: gerstheim |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Gerstheim - Image by Olivier Touzeau, 14 October 2020
The municipality of Gerstheim (3,447 inhabitants in 2018; 1,642 ha; municipal website) is located 30 km south of Strasbourg.
Gerstheim was first mentioned in 1066 by the Alsatian Pope Leo IX, also Count of Eguisheim, as Gerbodesheim. The village's name could have been formed on the anthroponym Gerbod, meaning "lance bearer".
At the time, Count Walter of Gerolseck was infamous for his water castle, built in Schwanau on an arm of river Rhine. The count used to block navigation with chains and ransom the caught boats. Upset, the militia and the artillery of the lords of Strasbourg and Basel seized the castle in July 1333 and suppressed it.
Olivier Touzeau, 11 October 2020
The flag of Gerstheim (photo) is white with the municipal coat of arms, "Argent, two burning hearts gules the sinister one debruised by the other".
The arms of "Gersthim" are shown in the Armorial Général (image).
Olivier Touzeau & Ivan Sache, 14 October 2020