Last modified: 2020-09-12 by ivan sache
Keywords: saint-andre-lez-lille |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Saint-André-lez-Lille, current and former versions - Images by Olivier Touzeau, 16 July 2020, band Ivan Sache & Pascal Vagnat, 7 March 2010, respectively
The municipality of Saint-André-lez-Lille (10,792 inhabitants in 2006; 316 ha; municipal website) is located a few kilometers north-west of Lille. The preposition lez means "nearby"; derived from Latin latus, "side", and often written lès or les (with possible confusion with the plural article les, "the"), this preposition has survived in modern French only in toponyms.
Saint-André was originally a parish that developed north-west of the
fortified town of Lille. In 1667, Lille was reincorporated into the
Kingdom of France and Vauban increased the town's fortifications;
Saint-André was cut into two parts, the one incorporated into the town
of Lille and the other, still a rural area, known as Saint-André hors
des murs (Saint-André beyond the walls).
Saint-André hors des murs became the municipality of Saint-André during the French Revolution, its first mayor being elected on 2 February 1790. The new municipality had no longer a parish church, an oddity that was corrected only in 1848.
During the industrial revolution, several factories were built along river Deûle while rich burghers from Lille had their châteaux (manors) in Saint-André. This was reflected by the increase in the population, from 331 in 1796 to 3,500 in 1901, 5,000 in 1921 and 10,000 in 1962.
Ivan Sache, 7 March 2010
Between at least 2012 and 2017, the flag used on the Town Hall and in twinning events (photo, photo, photo, photo) was based on the municipal logo of the time: diagonally divided light greyish blue at hoist, white at fly, with a stylized rendition of the arms, the name "Saint-André", and a French motto reading "The cool town... that wants to stay that way".
The flag used during the official ceremony of twinning with the Polish town of Wieliczka (13 January 1996, photos), is horizontally divided red-blue (2:1), with the gate of the abbey of Marquette, in yellow, in the red stripe, and three ermine cloaks, each supported by a vertical sword, in the blue stripe.
The flag is a benner of the municipal arms.
Olivier Touzeau, Pascal Vagnat & Ivan Sache, 6 August 2020