Last modified: 2021-03-25 by ivan sache
Keywords: pagny-sur-moselle |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Pagny-sur-Moselle - Image by Olivier Touzeau, 5 October 2020
The municipality of Pagny-sur-Moselle (4,126 inhabitants in 2018; 1,120 ha) is located 40 km north of Nancy.
Pagny was mentioned for the first time in 932. The village, integrated into the Provostship of Prény, belonged to the Dukes of Lorraine until 1766. During the industrial revolution, Pagny-sur-Moselle experienced an unprecedented development: the Fabius Henrion factory (Carbone Lorraine) was established as well as a major railway center.
As a border town, Pagny was on the frontline during the First World War. Two days after the declaration of war, the first German cavalrymen crossed the town. Of the 2,400 inhabitants at the turn of the century, many fled and half remained at the start of the occupation. Evacuation of civilians was organized by the Germans. At the end of the war, there were hardly more than 300 inhabitants left in the ruined village. In spring 1918, all of them were moved mainly to Belgium to facilitate the defense of the territory from the Americans.
Pagny was the scene of heavy fighting during the Battle of Metz in September 1944, opposing the 20th Corps of the Third American Army to the 462nd German Division.
Olivier Touzeau, 5 October 2020
The flag hoisted in front of the Town Hall of Pagny-sur-Moselle (photo,
photo) is a vertical banner (~2:5), vertically divided red-yellow, with the municipal coat of arms, "Pze bend, 1. Azure a lion or passant in bend, 2. Or a bend gules three alerions argent", in the upper part.
The arms were adopted in 1983; beforehand, the municipality used the arms of Lorraine. They were supplemented by the first quarter of the arms of Count de Serre.
[Union des cercles généalogiques de Lorraine]
Pierre-François Hercule, Count de Serre (1776-1824), born in Pagny-sur-Moselle, was a politician of the Restoration period.
Elected at the Chamber in 1815, he presided the Chamber from 1817 to 1818. Appointed Ministry of Justice in the Decazes government, he remained in office in the government presided by the Duke de Richelieu from 1820 to 1821 but left when Villèle was appointed chief of the government. Named Count and State Minister by Louis XVIII, Serre was sent in 1822 to Naples as an ambassador.
Olivier Touzeau & Ivan Sache, 9 October 2020