Last modified: 2018-03-18 by ivan sache
Keywords: sant lluís | san luis |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Sant Lluís - Image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 27 October 2017
The municipality of Sant Lluís (Spanish, San Luis; 6,954 inhabitants in 2017, 3,475 ha) forms the south-eastern corner of Minorca.
On 29 June 1756, the French troops conquered Castle San Felipe. In order to honour King Louis XV, the French established on 8 January 1762 the settlement of Saint Louis, south of Maó-Mahón. The French withdrew in 1763 whilst Great Britain regained control over Menorca.
The municipality of Sant Lluis was established in 1904, separating from Maó-Mahón.
The flag of Sant Lluís, as seen inOctober 2017, is white with a thin white and blue border and the municipal coat of arms in the center.
The coat of arms is made of a round shield, bordered in white and blue, "Per pale, 1. Azure three fleur-de-lis or 1+2 (France), 2. Or four pallets gules (Aragón).