Last modified: 2020-02-11 by ivan sache
Keywords: loranca de tajuña |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The municipality of Loranca de Tajuña (1,199 inhabitants in 2018; 3,666 ha) is located on the border with the Community of Madrid, 30 km south of Guadalajara.
Loranca de Tajuña was incorporated after the Christian reconquest to the
Common of the Town and Land of Guadalajara. Sancho IV granted the domain
in 1293 to María Fernández, the governess of Queen María de Molina. In
1301, María Fernández swapped her possessions with the Order of Calatrava, which ruled Loranca until the late 14th century. In 1377, Henry II granted the domain to the Order of Villafranca, and, two years
later, to his daughter, María, the wife of Diego Hurtado de Mendoza,
Admiral of Castile. Their descendants, subsequently erected Marquess de
Santillana and Duke of the Infantado, kept Loranca until the end of the
[Antonio Herrera Casado & Antonio Ortiz García. Heráldica municipal de Guadalajara]
The Society of Jesus established in the 16th century in Loranca de
Tajuña the Jesús del Monte convent, built on the premises of a former
Dominican monastery. Used as a place of retreat by the Jesuits of the
University of Alcalá, the convent exhibited between 12 September 1586
and 21 April 1587 the relics of Toledo's patron saint, St. Leocadia,
which were brought back from Antwerp to Toledo. The Jesuit theologian
Gabriel Vázquez (1549/1551-1604), known as the Spanish Augustine, died
in the convent on 23 September 1604.
After the expelling of the Society of Jesus from Spain by Charles III in 1767, the convent was progressively ruined. The Renaissance facade of the convent was re-used to build the municipal library, while the paintings were transferred to the parish church. Other elements are found in the oldest houses of the town.
The ruins of the convent were registered on 16 May 2018 on the Heritage Red List maintained by the Hispania Nostra association (registration).
Ivan Sache, 6 September 2019
The flag of Loranca de Tajuña (photo,
photo) is prescribed by an Order issued on 7 July
2005 by the Government of Castilla-La Mancha and published on 20 July
2005 in the official gazette of Castilla-La Mancha, No. 144, p. 14,129 (text).
The flag is described as follows:
Flag: Rectangular panel, in proportions 2:3, white with four horizontal blue stripes, charged in the center with the coat of arms of the municipality.
The coat of arms of Loranca de Tajuña is prescribed by an Order issued
on 28 April 1992 by the Government of Castilla-La Mancha and published
on 6 May 1992 in the official gazette of Castilla-La Mancha, No. 33, p.
The coat of arms is described as follows:
Coat of arms: Spanish shield. Wavy azure and argent charged with the emblem of the the Order of the Society of Jesus, composed of a sun with multiple rays or charged with the letters "IHS" sable in the center. The shield surmounted by a Royal crown closed.
Ivan Sache, 6 September 2019