Last modified: 2020-02-09 by ivan sache
Keywords: albuñol |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Albuñol - Image from the Símbolos de Granada website, 19 April 2014
The municipality of Albuñol (6,459 inhabitants in 2008; 6,300 ha; municipal website) is located on the Mediterranean Sea, 100 km south of Granada.
Albuñol was already settled in the Neolithic, as proved by human bones, funerary clothes and furnitures found in the Bats' Cave (Cueva de los Murci&ecute;lagos), kept today in the Archeological Museum of Granada. Probably founded by the Romans, the settlement of Albuñol was in the Moorish times the capital of the region known as Greater Cehel (Greater Coast), defended by the coastal fortress of La Rábita, suppressed long time ago. In 1505, the first lord of Albuñol, Luis Zapata, purchased the town from the Catholic Monarchs. In the early 17th century, the domain, incorporated into the County of Cifuentes, was resettled by Catholic colonists, following the expelling of the Moriscos.
Albuñol is the birth town of the Liberal politician Natalio Rivas Santiago (1865-1958), Representative at the Cortes from 1901 to 1923 and Minister of Public Instruction and Arts and Literature in 1919-1920. The Granada-born, realist writer Pedro Antonio de Alarcón y Ariza (1833-1891) wrote parts of his work in Albuñol at the Casa de la Margaritas, subsequently transformed into a church; his short story El sombrero de tres picos (The Three-Cornered Hat, 1874) was magnified in a famous ballet (1917-1919, music by Manuel de Falla, production by Serge de Diaghilev, set design and costumes by Pablo Picasso). Another of his short stories, El Amigo de la Muerte (The Friend of Death) was among the 33 books in Jorge Luis Borges' "Babel Library" published by Franco Maria Ricci (FMR).
Ivan Sache, 5 July 2009
The flag and arms of Albuñol, adopted on 5 November 2007 by the Municipal Council and submitted on 26 November 2007 to the Directorate General of the Local Administration, are prescribed by a Decree adopted on 3 December 2007 by the Directorate General of the Local Administration and published on 17 December 2007 in the official gazette of Andalusia, No. 246, p. 79 (text).
The symbols are described as follows:
Flag: Rectangular flag, in proportions 2:3, made of a red panel with a yellow tower masoned black with red port and windows, with an isosceles triangle placed along the hoist, white with three blue wavy stripes.
Coat of arms: Per fess, 1. Quarterly per cross. 1. and 3. Gules a castle or masoned sable port and windows azure, 2. and 4. Or three sticks gules in pale, the central counterplaced, 2. Argent a Morisco's bust proper clad gules with a turban vert. The shield surmounted by a Royal crown closed.
The tower represents a Moslim tower. The three sticks stand for the three main settlements forming the municipality, Albuñol (in the hinterland), La Rábita and El Pozuelo (on the coast). The Morisco recalls one of the Gilded Ages of the municipality.
[Símbolos de las Entidades Locales de Andalucía. Granada (PDF file)]
Ivan Sache, 5 July 2009