Last modified: 2021-08-26 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: manabi | santa ana | stars: 5 (red) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Ivan Sache, 18 October 2008
The canton was formed on August 1884 by secession from Portoviejo.
The municipal website shows a drawing of the flag, with the following description: "The flag and coat of arms were adopted on 18 July 1959 for the celebration of the 60th anniversary of the town. Six red stars in the middle of a rectangle green and yellow quartered by a white cross reaching the edges of the flag. This flag, symbol of honesty, was adopted by Decree of the Municipal Council in 1959. The proportions of the flag are 1:2. The stars on the white stripe represent the six parishes of the municipality."
The stars are of equal size and placed 1:4:1.
The flag and the coat of arms are shown as drawings on a PDF document available on the website of the Association of Ecuadorian Municipalities, with only five stars placed 1:3:1, the median star being bigger. However, the coat of arms shown on the same document features the flag with six stars.
There was probably a recent change in the administrative structure of the municipality, reflected in the flag, since the 2001 statistics given on the municipal website lists only five parishes (Santa Ana, Ayacucho, Honorato Vásquez, La Unión and San Pablo) while the general presentation of the municipality lists a sixth parish, Lodano (a urban parish, most probably recently detached form Santa Ana).
Ivan Sache, 18 October 2008
image by Pascal Gross, 23 June 2000
image from members.es.tripod.de (defunct), located by Pascal Gross, 23 June 2000