This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

La Paz Parish (Carchi, Ecuador)

Last modified: 2018-11-17 by zoltán horváth
Keywords: carchi | montúfar | la paz |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors



image by Ivan Sache, 7 September 2018


See also:


Overview

The parish of La Paz (11,596 ha) forms the south-western part of Montúfar canton. La Paz is composed of 6 boroughs and 8 communities.

La Paz was originally known as Pialarquer, meaning "corn land" or "stone arch" in local language. The place was originally inhabited by Huacas and Tusas, who enjoyed the fertility of the soil and the mild climate. The parish of Pialarquer was established on 12 May 1878, to be renamed to La Paz on 28 October 1892.

In 1914, following the directions given by Father Ezequiel Jaramillo, who had seen an apparition of the Virgin near river Apaquí, José María Narváez, José María Herrera and José María Imbaquingo found the stone required to make a statue of Our Lady of La Paz. The statue is credited to Daniel Reyes, a sculptor from San Antonio de Ibarra. The La Paz cave, the place of the apparition, was proclaimed sanctuary of Our Lady of La Paz in 1915; the Holy Virgin of La Paz was crowned on 27 May 1973.
http://www.gadmontufar.gob.ec/parroquias.php
Montúfar canton website
Ivan Sache, 7 September 2018


The Flag

The flag of La Paz is horizontally divided yellow-red.
Yellow is a symbol of the local crops, such as wheat and corn.
Red represents the blood shed by the heroes for the homeland and liberty.
http://gplapaz.gob.ec/carchi/?p=108
Parish website
Ivan Sache, 7 September 2018