Last modified: 2017-11-11 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: dessau |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
3:5 image by Stefan Schwoon, 16 Feb 2001
From Ralf Hartemink's International
Civic Arms website: The arms were officially granted on 4 July 1994
and previously in 1951. The arms show in the upper part the arms of the
Princes of Anhalt and in the lower part
the arms of the Lords of Waldeser. The city was part of Saxony-Anhalt and
the Lords of Waldeser had their castle close to the city. The city used
only the arms of Saxony-Anhalt in the seals dating from the 16th century.
The mural crown indicates the freedom and strength of the city.
Literature: H. Papendieck, Die Wappen der Landkreise und kreisfreien Städte des Landes Sachsen-Anhalt, Landesarchiv Magdeburg, 1996.
Dessau-Roßlau city is a county-free
town in Saxony-Anhalt, Germany. It is situated at the confluence of the
rivers Elbe and Mulde. The town was formed by the merger of the towns Dessau
and Roßlau on 1 July 2007.