This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Graal-Müritz Municipality and Spa (Germany)

Gemeinde Ostseeheilbad Graal-Müritz, Landkreis Rostock, Mecklenburg-Vorpommern

Last modified: 2020-03-29 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: graal-mueritz | fish(haurient) | oak(leaf) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Graal-Müritz municipal flag] 3:5 image by Stefan Schwoon, 30 Aug 2011
  • Graal-Müritz Municipality and Spa/ Ostseeheilbad Graal-Müritz
  • See also:

    Graal-Müritz Municipality and Spa

    Graal-Müritz Flag

    It is a white flag, divided horizontally by a blue over yellow over green stripe. Each colour should be 1/9 of total height. The ratio is 3:5. The coat of arms is in the centre of the flag. The arms height is half of total height.
    Source: Stefan Schwoon's database
    Klaus-Michael Schneider, 22 Aug 2011

    Graal-Müritz Coat of Arms

    Shield parted per pale, at dexter Azure a fish haurient Argent, at sinister Or an oak leaf Vert.
    In 1329 Lord Heinrich II of Mecklenburg donated the northern part of the Ribnitz Heather to the Clarissinian Abbey of Ribnitz and gave pemission to estblish a farm. In 1352 Knight Johannes of Plessen sold another part of the heather to the abbey, near the Muritze Farm. The abbey was secularised. Much later, in 1815, Grand Duke Friedrich Franz I of Mecklenburg-Schwerin established a settlement of small cottages in the Müritz area. He thus based a village of fishermen and seafarers. Already in 1830 the first bathers arrived. In 1880 the grand duke's personal physician Carl of Mettenheimer established the first German sanatorium for children.
    Graal was first mentioned as a mill and dairy farm in 1649. It was parted into small cottage allotments in 1752 and finally a village of farmers developed, which also hosted bathers since the 19th century. Graal was incorporated into the Municipality and Spa (Ostseebad) Müritz in 1938.
    In 1939 the municipality was renamed to Ostseebad Graal-Müritz. On 23 february 1998 the municipality gained the title of an Osteeheilbad.
    The arms are a representation of a location on the seaside, symbolised by the fish, surrounded by a grove, symbolised by the oak leaf. The fish is also alluding to fishery as an important former business line. The colours of the stripe are representing sea, sandy beech and oak grove.
    Source: Hans-Heinz Schütt:"Auf Schild und Flagge" , Schwerin 2011, p.230
    Klaus-Michael Schneider, 22 Aug 2011

    Flag and arms were approved on 24 January 1996 by Minister of Interior of Mecklenburg-Vorpommern and published in the Municipal Roll of Arms Mecklenburg-Vorpommern as no.30.
    Klaus-Michael Schneider, 22 Aug 2011

    back to Rostock cities and municipalities click here