Last modified: 2017-11-11 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: osnabrueck county |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
3:5 image by Stefan Schwoon, 2 Feb 2001
Flag adopted 11 July 1994
From Ralf Hartemink's Ralf Hartemink's webpage: The arms were adopted on July 17, 1947. The arms show the Benno Tower [Bennoturm] in Iburg. The tower was built in 1068 by Bishop Benno II of Osnabrück as one of his residences. The tower also was part of a Benedictine monastery and was of major strategic importance until 1673. In 1673 the bishops moved to their new palace in Osnabrück city and the tower lost its importance. The monastery was abandoned
in 1803. The wheel is the wheel of the city of Osnabrück.
Literature: Stadler 1964-1971.
Santiago Dotor, 24 Oct 2001
The Kreis Osnabröck is historically identical with the Prince-Bishopric
of Osnabrück, which in 1803 was annexed by Hannover.
Alexander Ganse, 5 Nov 2001