Last modified: 2017-11-11 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: hof county | per pale | lion(golden) | crowned | sinister facing | lion(black) | bordure |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
White-black stripes, the latest official county flag adoption in Bavaria so far.
Sources: Linder and Schmidt 2000, arms image from Stadler 1964-1972, p.46
Stefan Schwoon, 2 Oct 2001
The arms show the lions of the Lords of Weida and the Counts of Nürnberg The lords of Weida established a sphere of influence around the city of Hof, after the Counts of Andechs-Meranien had died out in 1248. In 1294 they became vassals of the Wittelsbach kin, rulers of Bavaria. In the early 14th century they were succeeded by the Burgraves of Nürnberg, who gained for a great fee of money all the assets and liabilities from Heinrich von Weida in 1373. The whole area became later part of the County of Bayreuth.
Source: Stadler 1964-1972, p.46
Santiago Dotor, 14 Jan 2004
back to Bavarian District, County and Municipal Flags Index page click here