Last modified: 2021-05-15 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: garmisch-partenkirchen(county) | tierced per pile | griffin | moor(head) | lozengy(white-blue) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
It is a white-red-yellow vertical tricolour with arms shifted to top. The county remained unchanged by the 1972 municipal reform.
Source: Linder and Schmidt 2000
Stefan Schwoon, 10 July / 21 Sep 2001
Shield tierced per pile, above right Argent a sinister facing griffin-lion rampant Gules, above left Or a moor's head Sable with coronet, collar and earring Gules, below lozengy of Argent and Azure.
The lion with the head of a griffin is taken from the arms of the Monastery of Steingaden, and is originally taken from the apocryphal arms of the Welfen kin, who had large possessions in the area in the Middle Ages. The moor's head is taken from the arms of the Bishopric of Freising. The bishops aqcuired in the 13th century the County of Werdenfels, which they ruled until 1803. The lower part shows the arms of Bayern.
Source: Stadler 1964, p.37
Santiago Dotor, 12 July 2003
The banner was officially approved on 20 November 1972, but in unofficial use before. The coat of arms was approved on 11 September 1962 and confirmed on 20 November 1972 by Minister of Interior of Bayern.
Stefan Schwoon, 10 July 2003 and Santiago Dotor, 12 July 2003
back to Bavarian District, County and Municipal Flags Index page click here