Last modified: 2016-08-05 by rob raeside
Keywords: aylmer | ontario |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Aylmer is located in Malahide Township. The township was named after the
baronial castle of the Talbots of Ireland. It was part of the 618,000 acres
granted to Colonel Talbot in 1803. The earliest recorded settlers came from New
York in about 1810. It was around 1830 that the Hamlet of Troy began to develop.
In 1835 the inhabitants of the settlement decided to change the name of their
community to Aylmer, after Lord Aylmer, then Governor General. On June 21st ,
1871, Aylmer was incorporated as a village and on January 3rd , 1887 as a town.
During World War II, the Royal Canadian Air Force built a base northeast of town
as a training facility. These facilities later were transformed into the Ontario
Police College. The college still operates there today. A major stimulus to
Aylmer’s economy occurred in 1946 when Imperial Tobacco opened a plant in town.
Neal Wilson, 15 July 2016
Arms, Crest & Motto of Aylmer
On May 10th of 1976 town council passed a bylaw governing the use and protection of the town armorial achievements. The following was enacted:
Arms: Gules on a chevron argent between in chief two stylized tobacco flowers argent and in base a bull’s head cabossed argent a trefoil vert between two pommes.
Crest: Out of a Canadian Rural Crown composed of four maple leaves and as many ears of wheat alternately set upon a rim or, a Cornish chough rising proper.
Motto: On an scroll beneath the shield or, the word “steady”
Official Colors: Red and White.
On November 9th , 1987 two by-laws were enacted that directly affected the eventual design of the flag. The then used motto “Steady”, which had been taken from Lord Aylmer’s coat of arms, was amended to a more progressive “Pride and Progress”. In addition, the official colors of the town were amended from red and white to be red, gold and white.
On March 26th, 1990 town council passed a resolution regarding the new town flag.
The new flag was described as:
The flag will have a white diagonal band proceeding from the left upper corner to the right lower corner, creating a right angled triangle in the upper right and lower left sections; The upper right triangle be colored gold and the lower left triangle be colored red. The official crest, with the motto “Pride and Progress” in black lettering be centered on the flag with the chough extending into the gold triangle and the motto and lower portion of the shield extending into the red triangle. The words “Aylmer Ontario” be printed in the right lower portion of the white section.
The official flag raising for the new flag was held at 6:30 pm on June 11, 1990 prior to the commencement of a regular council meeting.
Neal Wilson, 15 July 2016