Last modified: 2012-08-09 by rob raeside
Keywords: pond inlet | nunavut | antlers | mittimatalik |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Eugene Ipavec, 7 July 2009
The Inuktitut name for Gjoa Haven is Usqsuqtuuq, which means "a place
of plenty of fat". The name refers to the fattened fish and seal that
were abundant in the area. The explorer Roald Amundsen first travelled to the
area in 1903 to gain information about the Magnetic North Pole. The community
is named after the Amundsen's ship, the Gjoa.
Nunavut factsheet on Gjoa Haven (in PDF)
The flag of the Hamlet of Pond Inlet, Nunavut, is vertical triband, 1:2:1 blue-white-blue, with hamlet logo on the center of the white stripe. It can be seen on a photo on the hamlet official website.
About the hamlet:
"Pond Inlet, is a small, predominantly Inuit community in the Qikiqtaaluk Region of Nunavut, Canada and is located at the top of Baffin Island. As of the 2006 census the population was 1,315, an increase of 7.8% from the 2001 census, making it the largest of the four hamlets above the 72nd parallel. Pond Inlet was named in 1818 by explorer John Ross for John Pond an English astronomer." - from Wikipedia: Pond Inlet.
Valentin Poposki, 6 July 2009