Last modified: 2013-03-23 by ian macdonald
Keywords: sao paulo | tarumã |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
16 February 2013
Based on: http://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarum%E3_(S%E3o_Paulo)
A red field bearing three concentric triangles all extending from the hoist, white inside black inside white, bearing the municipal arms on the innermost triangle.
Official website at
Dirk Schönberger, 15 February 2013
Tarumã was established, under the name of Vila Lex, by Gilberto Lex (1880-1961), who had inherited a big piece of land from his father, Mathiae Lex, a German immigrant who came to Brazil in 1825. The estate; located near the source of river Tarumã, was known as Dourado Tarumã Estate. Gilberto Lex designed the new town with the help of the engineer Japolussi; the original settlement had three main streets, while the first commercial building, a pharmacy, was established in 1924. A dentist and a dressmaker settled the next year. The district of Tarumã was established in 1927. In the 1940s, the Rezende Barbosa acquired the Novà America Estate from José Pires and established the Nova América factory, initiating the industrialization of the town; sugarcane became the main crop in the region. The municipality of Tarumã was established by State Law No. 6,645 of 9 January 1990 and inaugurated on 1 January 1993
[The primary source is the municipal website]
The symbols of Tarumã are prescribed by Article 3 of the Municipal Constitution, adopted on 4 December 1993, as "the coat of arms, the anthem and the flag".
http://www.taruma.sp.gov.br/Outros/lei_organica_taruma.pdf - Municipal Constitution
The flag of Tarumã, designed by Lauro Ribeiro Escobar, is prescribed by Municipal Law No. 58, adopted in 1993 The flag is red with a white triangle placed along the hoist and reaching the mid fly, charged with the municipal coat of arms and a thin black chevron.
The meaning of the colours is the same as on the coat of arms. The superimposed triangles form arrows representing the impulse of Tarumã towards a prosperous future.
"Conto, canto e encanto com a minha história - Tarumã, A Cidade do
Amanhã" (2007), quoted in Wikipedia
Photos of the flag
The coat of arms of Tarumã was designed by Lauro Ribeiro Escobar. "Iberic shield, gules a saltire argent charged with two arrows sable cantoned by four bees displayed argent. The shield surmounted with an eight-towered mural crown argent ports sable. The shield supported dexter by a plant of maize and sinister by a sugarcane the two proper. Beneath the shield a scroll gules inscribed with the municipality's name in letters argent."
The Iberic, shield, used in Portugal at the time of discovery of Brazil, evokes the first colonizers and builders of the country. Gules is a symbol of the audacity of the pioneers who colonized the region. The St. Andrew's cross is the emblem of the town's patron saint, representing the Christian faith of the people. Argent is a symbol of harmony and understanding. The arrows are a symbol of love, war tradition and velocity, also representing the Indians who lived in the region in the beginning of the colonization. The bees represent working people. The mural crown is a symbol of municipal emancipation. The open ports are a symbol of hospitality. The plant of maize and the sugarcane emphasize the fertility of the generous soil, being a tribute to agriculture, the main source of income for the municipality, sugarcane being also the cause of industrialization.
"Conto, canto e encanto com a minha história - Tarumã, A Cidade do Amanhã" (2007), quoted in Wikipedia http://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bras%E3o_de_Tarum%E3_(S%E3o_Paulo)
Ivan Sache, 16 February 2013