Last modified: 2012-12-29 by ian macdonald
Keywords: sao paulo | osvaldo cruz |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Based on: http://www.osvaldocruz.sp.gov.br/simbolos/bandeira-do-municipio-de-osvaldo-cruz
Diagonally divided per bend sinister blue over white, with the municipal arms in the centre.
Official website at
Dirk Schönberger, 19 December 2012
Osvaldo Cruz was founded in the 1940s, as Califórnia, by the Swiss immigrant Max Wirth. The mess celebrated on 6 June 1941 by Father Gaspar Aguillã Cortez is considered as the founding act of the town. The land on which the municipality was established was taken from the Guataporanga and Monte Alegre Estates, also the origin of the Salmourão and Inúbia Paulista municipalities. Califórnia was made a district of Martinópolis in 1941, with Baliza as its capital. The municipality of Osvaldo Cruz was established on 1944.
The municipality is named for Dr. Oswaldo Cruz (1887-1917). Cruz studied three years (1896-1899) with Émile Roux at "Institut Pasteur" in Paris. Back to Brazil, he organized the struggle against plague in Santos and other port towns and established in 1900 the "Instituto Soroterápico Federal", which he ruled until 1902. When Director General of Health Services (1903), Cruz was appointed coordinator of the campaign aimed at eradicating yellow fever and small pox from Rio de Janeiro. He organized anti-mosquito bands and obtained compulsory immunization, which caused the "Immunization Revolt" at the Military College in 1904. Considered once as the "people's enemy" and targeted by journals, politicians and caricaturists, Cruz was eventually awarded a prize in the International Congress of Hygiene and Demography (Berlin, 1907). He subsequently led the campaign of eradication of yellow fever from Belém and established the health status of the region where the Madeira-Mamoré railway would be built. In 1916, Cruz was among the founders of the Brazilian Academy of Sciences.
The flag of Osvaldo Cruz is prescribed by Municipal Law No. 1,869 of 25 November 1993.
The flag is divided by a diagonal line running from the upper right
corner to the lower left corner. The upper field is white and the
lower field is blue. In the middle of the flag is placed the municipal
coat of arms.
The dimensions of the flag are 14 units x 20 units. The proportions of
the coat of arms are 9:13.
http://www.osvaldocruz.sp.gov.br/simbolos/bandeira-do-municipio-de-osvaldo-cruz - Municipal website
Photo of the flag:
The coat of arms of svaldo Cruz is prescribed by Municipal Law No. 1,871 of 25 November 1993. "Quarterly, 1. Gules a sword surrounded by the letters "SP" all argent, 2. Azure a Latin cross argent, 3. Or and anvil sable, 4. Vert a cornucopia or. THe shield surmounted by a three-towered mural crown or masoned and port sable. The shield supported dexter by a branch of coffee and sinister by a branch of cherry tree the two fructed proper. Below the shield a scroll gules inscribed with 'NÃO ESMORECER PARA NÃO DESMERECER".
The first quarter is made of the arms of São Paulo State. The second
quarter represents religious feeling (cross) and faith and glory and
celeste beauty. (azure) The third quarter represents work (anvil) and
wealth (or). The fourth quarter represents abundance (cornucopia) and
the primitive forests (vert).
The three towers of the crown represents the Legislature, Executive
Coffee and cherry are the primitive sources of income of the
The motto was coined by Dr. Oswaldo Gonçalves Cruz, the municipality's
http://www.osvaldocruz.sp.gov.br/simbolos/brasao-de-armas-do-municipio - Municipal website