Last modified: 2013-04-27 by ian macdonald
Keywords: sao paulo | itobi |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Ivan Sache, 15 April 2013
Itobi was founded in the first decades of the 19th century. In 1828,
the village was inhabited by Fabrício and José Alves Cunha, founders
of the Rio Verde estate. That estate, as well as the Boa Vista de Água
Suja estate, owned by Celestino and José Carreiro, and the Boa Vista
do Rio Doce estate, owned by Baron José Fortine, are at the origin of
Itobi. The town of Vila Nova do Rio Verde was founded in 1887 by
Antônio Martins Daniel, aka O Farrapeiro, who built two ranches. The
district of Itobi - a name meaning "Green Water" in Tupi-Guarani - was
established by State Law No. 568 of 27 August 1898, as part of the
municipality of Casa Branca.
The municipality of Itobi was established by State Law No. 5,285 of 18
February 1959 and inaugurated on 1 January 1960.
http://www.itobi.sp.gov.br - Municipal website
The symbols of Itobi are prescribed in Article 2 of the Municipal
Constitution, adopted on 15 May 1990, as "the flag, the coat of arms
and the anthem, representative of its culture and history".
http://www.camaradeitobi.sp.gov.br/pdf/leiorganica.pdf - Municipal Constitution
The flag is yellow with a white triangle placed along the hoist superimposed to a green triangle. The municipal coat of arms is placed near the hoist.
Ivan Sache, 15 April 2013