Last modified: 2013-04-27 by ian macdonald
Keywords: sao paulo | ipaussu |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Ivan Sache, 10 April 2013
Ipaussu was founded in the last decades of the 19th century by João
Justino and João Corra de Miranda; canoeing on river Pardo, the two
explorers reached a big island, which they called Ilha Grande (Great
Island). The Sorocabana railway inaugurated the station of Ilha Grande
in 1908, boosting the development of the place, then made of four
estates (São Luiz, Santa Hermínia, Santa Augusta and Bela Vista). The
district of Ilha Grande was established by State Law No. 187 of 23
August 1863, as part of the municipality of Santa Cruz de Rio Pardo.
The municipality of ipauçu was established by State Law No. 1,465 of
20 September 1915. Ipauçu comes from Ipaguaçu, which means "Great
Island" in Tupi-Guarani.
http://www.ipaussu.sp.gov.br - Municipal website
The symbols of Ipaussu are prescribed in Article 2 of the Municipal
Constitution, last amended on 22 September 2009, as "the flag, the
coat of arms, the anthem and other symbols established by Municipal
http://www.leismunicipais.com.br/lei-organica/ipaussu-sp/4975 - Municipal Constitution
The flag of Ipaussu is diagonally divided light blue-white with the municipal coat of arms in the middle.