Last modified: 2021-12-11 by ian macdonald
Keywords: santa catarina | rancho queimado |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Dirk Schönberger, 26 July 2012
The municipality of Rancho Queimado (2,748 inhabitants in 2010; 28,643 ha) is
located 70 km west of Florianópolis.
Rancho Queimado (Burned Ranch) emerged near a ranch used by tropeiros as a resting place; the ranch reportedly showed traces of a blaze, therefore its name.
The municipality of Rancho Queimado was established by State Law No. 850 promulgated on 8 November 1962. The town was awarded the title of "Santa Catarina's Capital of Strawberry" by State Law No. 11,954 promulgated on 25 October 2001.
The district of Taquaras is the site of the Hercílio Luz Museum, located in the vacation house acquired in 1911 by Hercílio Luz (1860-1924), President (~Governor) of Santa Catarina in 1894-1898, 1918-1922, and 19322-1924. Luz pushed the change of the name of the capital from Desterro to Florianópolis and initiated the building of the bridge connecting Santa Catarina Island to mainland (subsequently renamed to Hercílio Luz Bridge); this was a means to prevent the transfer of the "isolated" capital to Lages.
Ivan Sache, 5 November 2021
Gyronny of green and white, with the municipal shield in the centre.
Official website at
Dirk Schönberger, 26 July 2012
The flag of Rancho Queimado is prescribed by Municipal Law No. 238
promulgated on 21 November 1979.
The municipal flag of Rancho Queimado has the following heraldic description: Gyronny vert and white, charged in the center with the municipal coat of arms outlined sable.
The municipal flag, in compliance with the best Luso-Brazilin heraldic tradition, has the following rationale.
I - Gyronny, the flag's quadrilateral field is divided into eight equal parts shaped like right-angled triangles, each named gyron, by four rectilinear lines crossing each other in the center, two of them connecting the quadrilateral's angles, the two other vertical and horizontal, both equidistant from the flag's edges.
II - Vert and white, considering that the colors of an armored flag shall be the basic colors of the featured municipal arms, in the blazon's natural order, vert (green, in the shade known as Veronese green), argent, or, and gules. Argent, on flags, is usually substituted by white, which matches it on the heraldic chromatic scale. Accordingly, the upper gyron, at hoist, shall be green, followed by a white gyron, and so on.
III - Charged with the coat of arms of the municipality, which conceals the intersection of the lines forming the gyronny.
IV - The coat of arms of the municipality, prescribed by Law No. ... promulgated on ..., shall be placed in the flag's center, its outer ornaments (mural crown and scroll) omitted, therefore restricted to the shield proper, described in heraldic terms as "A Portuguese shield, vert a horn argent surmounted by two cinquefoils or. A chief serrated ot three pieces and two half-pieces argent a cross crosslet gules".
V - Bordered sable, meaning that the shield's field shall be outlined by a black line.
The features of the municipal flag shall obey the following rules.
I - The flag's width shall be 20 units.
II - The flag's length shall be 28 units.
III - The distance of the shield to the flag's upper border, outline excluded, shall be 6 units.
IV - The shield, in compliance with the shield's usual format known as Portuguese or Iberian, shall be composed of a quadrilateral of 7 units in length on 5 units in width, in base a semi-circle of 3.5 units in radius.
V - The shield's chief shall be inscribed in an imaginary rectangle of 2.5 units in width on 7 units in length.
VI - The chief's serrated border shall be inscribed in an imaginary rectangle of 1 unit in width on 7 units in length, whose base matches the base of the aforementioned rectangle limiting the chief's area.
VII - To design the serration bordering the chief, the rectangle described in item VI shall be divided into eight smaller rectangles, each of 1 unit in width. The base of each of the two small rectangles at the ends on the shield's ends shall be 19/20, while the base of each of the six central rectangles shall be 17/20. A diagonal line shall connect in turn two opposite angles of each of the two smaller rectangles, starting in the lower angle of the first rectangle of the shield's dexter side.
VIII - The cross crosslet in the chief's center shall be inscribed in an imaginary square of 1.6 unit in side; its arms shall be 0.2 unit in width.
IX - The distance between the cross and the shield's upper border shall be 0.2 unit.
X - Each cinquefoil shall be inscribed in an imaginary circumference of 1.5 unit in diameter, whose center is located 1 unit from the respective shield's sides and 3.3 units from its upper edge.
XI - The opening of the horn shall be inscribed in the lower half of an imaginary circumference of 5.8 units in diameter, whose center, located on the shield's vertical median line, shall be 4 and 13/20 from the upper edge.
XII - The horn's string shall be 0.3 in width.
XIII - The shield's border, in black, shall be 0.1 in width.
Leis Municipais database
The first coat of arms of Rancho Queimado was prescribed by Municipal Law No. 8 promulgated on 14 May 1964.
The coat of arms of the municipality of Rancho Queimado shall have the following characteristics.
a) The shield shall be oval, in dimensions 0.40 cm on 0.60 cm.
b) It shall have a turquoise blue stripe inscribed with "PREFEITURA MUNICIPAL DE RANCHO QUEIMADO", in white letters, then comes another white oval.
c) The second oval features a star with red and white points, representing the colors of the state and the establishment of the municipality, with the date in blue.
d) The white oval is surrounded by two maize plants representing the municipality's agricultural resources.
e) In the center is represented another source of income, a colonist with his plow, preparing the soil for sowing plants that are his main source of income.
f) Also in the center, further away, representing animal breeding, a bovine and a horse, the milk cow representing another source of income for the prosperous municipality.
g) On the maize plant, a green and yellow ribbon bow representing the resources of the states of South Brazil.
Leis Municipais database
Although this Law is labeled "still valid", this coat of arms was superseded by the currently used design, which is described in the aforementioned Law prescribing the flag.
Ivan Sache, 5 November 2021