This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Caibaté, Rio Grande do Sul (Brazil)

Last modified: 2020-07-14 by ian macdonald
Keywords: rio grande do sul | caibaté |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

Caibaté, RS (Brazil) image by Ivan Sache, 13 July 2020

See also:


The municipality of Caibaté (5,058 inhabitants in 2016; 25,849 ha) is located 500 km north-west of Porto Alegre.
Ivan Sache, 13 July 2020


The flag and coat of arms of Caibaté are prescribed by Municipal Law No. 304 promulgated on 13 October 1980.

Article 6.
The municipal flag of Caibaté, designed by the heraldist and vexillologist Lauro Ribeiro Escobar, is described as follows:
Rectangular, blue, with a yellow triangle placed along the hoist, of 16 units in length, charged with a white triangle of 12 units in length, itself charged with the coat of arms described in Article 19.

Article 7.
In compliance with heraldic rules, the municipal flag shall have the official dimensions adopted for the national flag, that is 14 units in width on 20 units in length.

Article 19.
The coat of arms of Caibaté, designed by the heraldist and vexillologist Lauro Ribeiro Escobar, is described as follows:
Iberian shield. Azure a patriarchal cross surmounted by two axes crossed in saltire all or in chief a trilobate cross surrounded by two fasces of Holy Nails all gules. The shield surmounted by an eight-towered mural crown argent ports sable. The shield supported dexter by a soybean plant and sinister by a maize plant, charged with a scroll azure inscribed with the toponym "CAIBATÉ" in letters or.

The coat of arms has the following meaning:
a) The Iberian shield was used in Portugal at the time of discovery of Brazil; its adoption evokes the first colonists and builders of the homeland.
b) The field azure (blue) is a symbol of justice, beauty, sweetness, nobleness, incorruptible firmness, glory, virtue, constancy, dignity, zeal and loyalty, which are the attributes of those who dedicate themselves to the progress of the municipality.
c) The patriarchal cross, or missionary cross, recalls that Caibaté is located in the Missions' region; it is also the symbol of the people's deep Christian faith and of the first chapel erected in 1923 as a mark of human settlement in the region.
d) The axes ("machados"), symbols of work and clearing, refer to the first owner of the land where Caibaté was established, Joaquim Gomes Pinheiro Machado.
e) Or is a symbol of wealth, splendor, generosity, nobleness, glory, power, force, faith, prosperity, sovereignty and command, which are legitimate objectives for the people of Caibaté, as a logical consequence of prolific and constant work.
f) The cross surrounded by two fasces of three Holy Nails recalls that Caibaté, more exactly Caaró, was the place of martyr of the first apostle of Rio Grande do Sul, Father Roque Gonzales, S.J.; this also refers to the Caaró sanctuary, dedicated to martyr Father Roque Gonzales, S.J., Afonso Rodrigues, S.J. and João del Castilhos, S.J. The trilobium and the fasces of three Holy Nails are featured on the emblem of the Society of Jesus.
g) Gules (red) is a symbol of audacity, courage, valor, gallantry, intrepidity, nobleness, generosity, honor, charity, magnanimity and triumph.
h) The mural crown, a symbol of political emancipation, is represented argent with eight towers, of which only five are visible, standing for a "cidade". The gates open sable (black) proclaim the hospitality of the people of Caibaté.
i) The soybean, maize and wheat plants emphasize the fertility of Caibaté's generous soil, as important products and main sources of income for the municipality.
j) On the scroll the toponym "CAIBATÉ" identifies the municipality.

Leis Municipais database


The sanctuary of Caaró, located 15 km of Caibaté, was established in 1933. Father Luis Gonzaga Jaeger identified the site as the place of martyr of the Jesuit fathers Roque Gonzales, Afonso Rodrigues and João del Castilhos on 15 November 1628. Blessed in 1934 by Pope Pius XI, the three fathers were canonized on 16 May 1988 by John Paul II. The chapel is now the place of an international pilgrimage.
Portal das Missões

Ivan Sache, 13 July 2020