This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Rio Pardo, Rio Grande do Sul(Brazil)

Last modified: 2020-08-08 by ian macdonald
Keywords: rio grande do sul | rio pardo |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

Rio Pardo, RS (Brazil) image by Ivan Sache, 3 August 2020

See also:


The municipality of Rio Pardo (38,968 inhabitants in 2016; 205,065 ha) is located 140 km north-west of Porto Alegre.

Rio Pardo was established around 1750 on the confluence of rivers Pardo and Jacuí, as a depot of weapons and ammunition aimed at controlling the border established by the Treaty of Madrid. In 1752, this was transformed into Fort Jesus Maria José, garrisoned by a Dragoons' Regiment.
In the aftermath of the nullification of the Treaty of Madrid in 1761, the Spaniards invaded the Sacramento Colony (Uruguay) and seized Rio Grande. They could not seize Fort Jesus Maria José, which was awarded the title of Tranqueira Invicta (Undefeated Barrier), subsequently adopted by the town as its motto.
In 1801, Manoel dos Santos Pedroso and José Borges do Canto left Rio Pardo to conquer the Missões region. After the stabilization of Rio Grande do Sul, the Portuguese government divided on 7 October 1809 the territory into four towns: Rio Grande, Porto Alegre, Nossa Senhora do Rosário de Rio Pardo, and Santo Antônio da Patrulha. The biggest of them, Rio Pardo covered 3/4 of Rio Grande do Sul. Rio Pardo was elevated to the rank of "cidade" on 31 March 1846.
Municipal website
Ivan Sache, 3 August 2020


Source: Official municipal website. Coat of arms at Not to be confused with São José do Rio Pardo in the State of São Paulo.
Dov Gutterman, 12 June 2000

From the municipal website:

The flag of Rio Pardo was created by Law no. 30 of 2 December 1957, approved by Prefect Fernando Wunderlich. It is formed by a rectangle divided into two adjoining fields, separated diagonally. The lower is green and the other yellow, having, in the center, the municipal coat of arms.

The coat of arms was created by law no. 105 of 18 September 1954, signed by Prefect Faustino Teixeira de Oliveira. It has three stripes: the first, of blue, has a fortress, recalling Fort Jesus Mary Joseph; the second, red, a dragon representing the Rio Pardo Dragoons Regiment; the third, golden, the Ave Maria emblem and a rosary, homage to Our Lady of the Rosary, patroness of Rio Pardo. Above the stripes is a silver [mural] crown of five towers, and below it, in gold letters on a red scroll the motto "Tranqueira invicta."
Translated by Joseph McMillan, 7 July 2001 Photos
Ivan Sache, 3 August 2020

Centro de Tradições Gaúchas Estância de Rio Pardo

Rio Pardo, RS (Brazil) image by Ivan Sache, 3 August 2020

The flag of CTG Estância de Rio Pardo is square, horizontally divided green-yellow-red with the association's emblem in the center.


 Ivan Sache, 3 August 2020